The iOrchestra truck contained a unique 'play-and-create' experience with something for everyone. MusicLab hosted an orchestral opportunity for both experienced musicians and those who had never picked up an instrument before.
We brought MusicLab to thirteen communities across the south west. Visitors were able to:
- receive a tutorial in the french horn, the cello, the timpani and the clarinet from Philharmonia Orchestra players;
- explore every instrument in the orchestra, using our central controls which give you a chance to play, compose and produce;
- sing-along with the Philharmonia Orchestra in Chorus Booth creating a huge virtual choir from each location that we visit and across the whole south-west peninsular;
- explore the life of the orchestra - our work in playing concerts, film scores, making video-game music and more - through our video bench which provides a guided tour of our work;
- experiment with the orchestra's four instrumental families and how each of them makes sounds both familiar and strange, using Hi-5!
To see what it's like inside, watch our MusicLab trailer, here. MusicLab visited communities in each region in the weeks leading up to and during Universe of Sound and RE-RITE. There were opportunities for schools and community groups to special tours of MusicLab as well as activities for other local groups and open visit times for the general public - recordings and images of these will be added to the website soon.